Made by Carl Leistler & Son, sculpted by Anton Dominik Fernkorn, carved byFranz Maler, Austria, Vienna. 1850–1. When shown at the Great Exhibition in 1851 the Leistler firm's exhibits were described as 'massive, bold and masculine in design, and well adapted to a palace'. This bookcase was a 'cathedral in wood'. Afterwards Emperor Franz Joseph of Austria presented it to Queen Victoria. It was installed first in Buckingham Palace and later in Holyrood Palace, Edinburgh. It was given to the University of Edinburgh who gave it to the V&A in 1967.